Articles in the Windows 2008 Category
How much would it cost to get auto windows and auto lock installed in a 2008 Chevy Cobalt?
I didn’t know that they even made cars without automatic windows, or automatic lock… but they do, …
Why would you want to use the command line to configure wireless networking?
Some of you might be asking why you would want to do this in the first place and that is a logical question. Let me provide some justification for the reason behind this and help try to demonstrate the need to you.
* Using the CLI when no GUI is available – You never know when you will need to configure something (like wireless) from the command line because no GUI is available. This could happen for a number of reasons. With the commands you learn in this article, you will be prepared.
* Using the CLI when Scripting – The day may come (or it may be here now) when you need to write a script to connect to a wireless network. If you create that script, you will need to know all the necessary netsh wlan commands needed to accomplish your task, inside the script. For example, you might want to configure wireless connectivity in a logon script.
* Because it is faster – Some of us are just “command line junkies” and we enjoy using the command line to do things over the GUI. In fact, for some of you out there, you are fast enough at the command line that you can do things faster in the CLI than you can in the GUI.
What does netsh wlan offer you?
The netsh wlan command set is only offered in Windows Vista (not in XP, 2003, or 2008 Server). So what can you do with these commands? Here is a list:
* Configure wireless security settings for this Windows PC or laptop.
* Configure wireless connectivity and network settings for this Windows PC or laptop. For example, you could configure a laptop, when logging in, to connect, securely, to the company wireless network.
* View the wireless group policy settings that are applied to this Windows machine
* Connect to “mixed mode” networks – for example, you can connect to either a WPA or WPA2 wireless network.
* Hide wireless networks from end users – with netsh wlan, you can hide from your end users or prevent end users from connecting to potentially malicious or just undesirable wireless networks.
With that, let us see how it works…
Creating profiles and connecting to a Wireless LAN using netsh wlan
Now that we have seen some possible uses for netsh wlan, let me show you, on a real Windows Vista machine, how to use these commands to do certain tasks.
Microsoft recently released a free tool for managing multiple remote desktop connections called “Remote Desktop Connection Manager”.
A sample screenshot:
There are several nice features, such as “Connect group” which lets you connect to all …
A best practice in domain environments are backing up the Group Policy Objects regularly. Even though a GPO may be restored by restoring a system state backup from a domain controller to an alternate location, and then copy the contents from the deleted GPO to a new GPO to restore the settings, this may be a hazzle since it`s not pretty straightforward. It also requires you to restart the domain controller affected in Directory Services Restore Mode. PowerShell MVP Don Jones has written a good article on this topic, available here. For those of you who may not want to do GPO restore the hard way, or buy a commercial third party product, I would encourage you to schedule regular GPO backups using the Windows PowerShell Group Policy-module available in Windows Server 2008 R2, as well as RSAT in Windows 7.
Can I run PHP MYSQL PERL Python and Apache on Windows 2008 server?
and Linux server in general can I use on windows 2008 server?
Answer by TomLinux runs only through virtualization but the other …
Through this article I will try to explain how to set up the SSO (Single Sign On) when using RemoteApp published in 2008 R2 RDS.
For purposes of explanation, I will assume that the infrastructure in …
There is a statistical tool / event graphics built into Windows Server 2008.
Here we will see a command line tool that captures little information, but little use and fast versions on Windows Server Core Edition.
You just download an object (file, folder or program) that crashes your PC?
In addition, no anti-malware software (antivirus, antispyware etc.). Seems overcome this problem?
Finally, it is impossible to move, rename and delete most of this …
You want to make a command that requires you to specify a path, but it has a space on a file.
You want to copy from one directory to another:
copy c: \ folder to …
If when opening a file or open a particular extension Windows can not start the associated application, the cause may be one of the following:
The file association is incorrect
If the error comes from opening a …